Wear, Repair



Walking around in Macleodganj, Dharamshala about 6 years ago, I turned a corner and saw a tiny door to a tiny shop. 

Rogpa sells items made by Tibetan women, and serves to integrate the Tibetan community in exile. Their aim is to create a self sufficient Tibetan community while preserving their culture and identity. This bag from Rogpa is perfect for daily use, fits my wallet, keys, lip balm, smoke pouch and other stuff. Over the years with daily use, it's soft and faded, and started ripping in places. The little clippy buckle also broke in the humid climate here in Goa. I replaced that with two travel hooks, and started stitching in patches wherever it would rip. Most people tell me to just get a new bag. But I like this one. It's handmade, and helped people when I bought it. It's traveled the country with me, and has seen some super bizarre shit. 

 
I'm also thinking of a few things here, every time I choose to repair my bag as opposed to buying a new one. 

1. Growing up, we didn't replace stuff, we repaired them. Fast fashion has only happened now in the last decade or so ...

2. The clothing and textile industry is the second largest polluter globally. 

3. The fashion industry contributes massively to climate change and greenhouse gas emissions.
 
4. Using recycled cotton helps save about 20,000 litres of water.
 
5. I can't imagine the mind boggling experience of a shopping mall, when I've already got the perfect bag which comes with an awesome story! 


Do read more about the fashion and textile industry and make a conscious decision. Ask where your clothes come from, find out who made them, check what resources are utilised, and decide what you can do when you don't want it anymore.
Get a quick look at fashion industry waste stats here.



Over the years, I've been inspired by wornwear theconsciousdesi bezerowastegirl and so many others who talk and share simple steps one can take to make sure there's a planet left for future generations.

You can read about Rogpa Charitable Trust here

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Tusks & Woke Bois

Theories of Shooting Stars: Aspiring to be Alternate

Begin to Believe